Alpinia purpurata (Red Ginger, Red Ginger Lily, Jungle King/Queen)
- Botanical Name: Alpinia purpurata
- Common Name: Red Ginger, Red Ginger Lily, Jungle King, Jungle Queen
- Family name: Zingiberaceae
- Plant type: Tropical flowering shrub (3 feet to 10 feet tall)
- Brief plant info: Prefers semi shade to full morning sun, needing moderate water
- More plant info and images: Check here for some plant info, and feast your eyes on more web images of Alpinia Purpurata here.
Our Alpinia purpurata ‘Red’ with its gorgeous red bracts, sometimes measuring 12 inches in height and commonly known as the Jungle King is different from the Jungle Queen with its pink bracts. They were grown at a strategic place in our garden to be the distinctive accent. Definitely the attention-grabber for about 4 years, beautifying and brightening our front yard with seemingly endless blooms throughout the years. Majestically, they radiate so much joy with their striking red bracts amongst their healthy and shiny green foliage! An amazing sight to behold!
We will never forget this lovely plant even though it had ceased to adorn our garden since August last year! Though sad :( without its physical presence, yet happy that we can still reminisce and enjoy its beauty on our computer and photo albums. :)
Last edited: 2008-06-22